The Time is Now. This Stay-at-Home Mom is officially involved.

Friday, October 29, 2010

I-1053

"We simply can't afford to have it all. With I-1053, Olympia will finally be forced to reform government, prioritize spending and re-evaluate existing programs.  Without I-1053, they'll resort to job-killing, family-budget-busting tax increases."
 - Argument For I-1053, State of Washington Voter's Pamphlet

This is to counteract what our state legislature suspended earlier this year. I blogged about my disgust when I-960 was about to be overturned here (It was overturned a short time afterwards). I-960 required a 2/3 legislative majority vote to increase taxes, and I-1053 re-instates this requirement.

This is an issue voters continue to make clear: we want the legislature to be prudent when raising taxes. 

In general, raising taxes should be a BIG deal. I want the state to make the tough decisions about what to change and where to cut back when state's revenue contracts. It's what people do in their everyday lives when times get tough. Sometimes you just have to cut your HD-programming...or cable altogether. I LOVE Project Runway (season finale tonight!), but if my husband loses his job, I know I am losing cable, and in turn, my dear, sweet Tim Gunn. (sigh!...Make it work!)

Not everything in the state budget is a priority and I refuse to accept that as an excuse for raising taxes. Three times previously, voters have approved initiatives requiring majorities to raise taxes. We are the people. This is our state...quit overturning OUR voice.

This is an easy one. My fellow Washingtonians: Vote YES on 1053.

No comments:

Post a Comment