The Time is Now. This Stay-at-Home Mom is officially involved.

Friday, February 26, 2010

On a more personal note...

"If you think [the people] want a government takeover of health care, I would simply submit you're not listening to them." 
 - Rep Paul Ryan (R-Wis)

I'm working on a post in reaction to the summit today, but the Olympics got the best of me tonight (I was three days behind on my TIVO-ed coverage) and I just want to leave you with a personal rant about health care:  

In case you didn't know, our family pays out the nose for our health insurance.  The hubster receives a portion of his health insurance premium as part of his employee benefits (about 55%), but for me and the kiddos we are basically self-insured.  We pay the entire premium and it's NOT CHEAP.  Not by a mile. You'd think I'd be the first in line for government health care...but let me be perfectly clear...I will fight the Dems and this bill tooth and nail.

Government-run health care will destroy the system as we know it by: contracting the field of medicine and eliminating the best doctors and medical professionals, lowering standards of care, increasing costs, and destroying  the private insurance industry and millions of jobs.  (Please note: this list is not exhaustive)

Please raise your hand if you have been served by a government program that was efficient, cost-conscious, provided a high level of customer care and was easy to work with?

What?  No hands?

Can this be so?  

Have you heard of "red tape"?  Well, under a government takeover, your health care will be wrapped cocoon-like in red tape.  

My point is this: our family is insured because we make it a priority. Anyone can purchase some level of insurance, if they so choose.  

But you have to want it...and you have to be willing to pay for it.  

And, another thing...all this talk about people dying because they don't have health care...is just plain RIDICULOUS. Any person can walk into an ER and receive care.  I will not allow the Dems to portray me as a greedy, unsympathetic, uncharitable, hateful person simply because I don't want the government to infringe upon rights to my health.   

I AM a nice person...and I stand by that...

...because I'm nice.  

3 comments:

  1. Amen sister! We work hard for what we have, stop trying to make us feel bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well of course I disagree. There is no much worse than the system we currently have. And it must be nice for you to be able to afford to pay for insurance because the reality is that 3 million Americans cannot. The truth is that we are well behind other countries in this matter and it is our selfishness not our niceness that holds us back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no better health care system in the world. That said we can get waaaaay better. We need competition, options, reasonable prices, cutting edge technology, and new competive drugs.

    Why is health care so expensive?
    1) Excessive lawsuits and punitive damages;
    2) Free services for the uninsured have to be paid for by someone; The government is more than willing to require hospitals to take them in, but not willing to pay for them.
    3) The current government systems that already exist restrict how much hospitals can charge and are so paper laden and inefficient that the hospitals have to charge the rest of us to make up for those losses.
    4) Abuse and indifference; I have seen coworkers do all sorts of wasteful things because they think someone else is paying for it. Also, how many of us pay any attention to the cost when it is being covered by our employers health coverage.

    We will personally lose our health coverage in my house if this current plan passes. The only ones left with coverage will be the government workers who suck off the rest of us who can no longer afford our own.

    Medical accidents are not a giant lottery ticket. Suing doctors over these mistakes is disgusting. No amount of money can make up for the loss of a loved one. And anyone who seeks money as a replacement only dishonors their loved one's memory. I lost a son at the hands of doctors two years ago. The official cause of death was the doctors actions, but I know that they were trying to help and ended up creating another problem that eventually killed him. Never once did I even consider suing them. These doctors tried to save his life and I am glad they tried. If they didn't we would have far more deaths on our hands in the long run.

    We conservatives care greatly about health care and helping others, but to truly help them is not to enslave them to free handouts. A wise teacher once taught me one of the greatest lessons of my life. I asked him a question and although he knew the answer, he wouldn't give it to me. He said that I had to pay a price for it or I wouldn't value it. He made me work and research that answer and it has stuck with me forever because I paid that price in my labors.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete