The Time is Now. This Stay-at-Home Mom is officially involved.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The People Have Spoken

"This little campaign of ours was destined for greater things than any of us knew, and the message went far beyond the name on the sign."

- Scott Brown, Acceptance Speech

The last of the checks and balances came out in full force today: the people.  I was on watch most of the day and was elated when the numbers came through this evening.

 Whether or not our elected officials actually listen to the people remains to be seen. Brown had some great comments today. I wonder if our panic-stricken Congress listened in. Uncertainty abounds with respect to health care and it appears tonight the Dems have a few ideas floating around, but not a lot of direction. We'll see what the Obama-Pelosi-Reid trio have to say tomorrow.

Best case scenario: ObamaCare dies. I'm not naive...I know it will not die forever, but a girl can dream right? I hope it goes away at least until the election this fall. If "The Machine" continues on its crash course of ignoring public opinion the Tea Party movement will certainly affect the open seats and reclaim some ground in Congress. And maybe we'll see a significant stretch of time pass before health care reform can have some momentum. I said I could dream right?!

"We had the machine scared and scrambling, and for them it is just the beginning of an election year filled with surprises. They will be challenged again and again across this country. When there’s trouble in Massachusetts, there’s trouble everywhere – and now they know it." (Brown)

I've talked about the polls previously, but it's evident Obama and Congress are focusing on the wrong agenda item. Most of the country is worried about the economy and jobs. If I was unemployed I would be more worried about getting a job than my health care premiums. White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs gave nothing away today in speculating about a GOP win in Massachusetts, but he did elude to job creation taking priority over health care.
QUESTION: What's the President's agenda for his second year in office and what's the top priority?
MR. GIBBS: I think the top priority...is to continue to work hard on getting this economy back on track and creating jobs again...his primary focus will be on creating jobs.
Very interesting.  Could Obama be getting the message?

Here's another Brown quote:
"Raising taxes, taking over our health care, and giving new rights to terrorists is the wrong agenda for our country. What I’ve heard again and again on the campaign trail, is that our political leaders have grown aloof from the people, impatient with dissent, and comfortable in the back room making deals. And we can do better."
I'm hoping our country can have some economic focus. But in the economic realm Obama's lack of experience is evident. I fear Obama will push for another stimulus, which I've blogged about recently, and my opinion is "Are you freakin' kidding me?" Can someone please consider tax cuts!! Let's infuse some cash into our economy...give businesses some opportunity to hire...invest in their businesses. It's a complete no brainer. Tax Cuts = Job Creation. Maybe someone will get the message.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a related item...THANK YOU!! I'm so happy with how the blog is being received. Thanks for all your comments and opinions. Obviously, with this being a conservative blog, most of the input and ideas are conservative...but liberal or conservative, keep 'em coming. Let your voice be heard. What we've learned from Scott Brown and his supporters is conservatives are NOT alone. The tea party movement is not to be ignored. Conservatives abound and they WILL stand up.

Source:

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are happy with your new blog. I have been following it entirely too closely since I am aggressively avoiding studying. Anyway I am happy to be the voice of reason to all you crazy conservatives! ;)

    ReplyDelete