The Time is Now. This Stay-at-Home Mom is officially involved.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

One Year Later

Obama and George Stephanopoulos met for an interview yesterday.  It was a reflection on Obama's first year in office.  I saw the highlight reel on the news and most every response brought the same physical, involuntary response: the EYE-ROLL.

Just ask my husband...the eye-roll cannot be controlled...my eyes have a mind of their own...they know "ridiculous" before I do.  Here are just a few snippets and my thoughts...the eye-roll is inferred with each comment.
------------------------------------------------------
Stephanopoulos suggests in light of some comments by Michael Steele (the Republican National Committee President) is the anger of republicans goes beyond the bailout...that it's repudiation of Obama's entire agenda, notably health care.

OBAMA: "...when I got here and I looked at how we were going to get control of our long-term debt, I realized that there was no way for us to control our long-term debt unless we reformed how our healthcare system works."

Now granted, our health care might need some help, but the government swooping in and promising MORE services for LESS money (which is impossible, by the way) doesn't make sense without more government spending (aka taxes for you and me) and subsequent increases to our national debt.  Some of my fellow Washingtonians might know the infamous billboard along I-5 between Seattle and Portland which has some GREAT political one-liners.  A few months ago it said, "Think health care's expensive now?  Wait until it's free."  Awesome.  Obama's validation that health care reform will somehow save our long-term debt is backwards.

Moving onward...NEXT...

Regarding Obama's inaugural address Stephanopoulos says, "You said then, 'There are some who question the scale of our ambitions - who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans.'  Looking back now, don't those critics have a point?"

OBAMA: Most of the other issues that we took on were not ones that I chose. I didn't campaign on saving the financial system.

I have a real problem with his response.  FIRST, the position of the presidency is constantly complicated by unforeseen events requiring a temporary diversion.  Remember Bush? Our entire country was thrown significantly off course after September 11th?  He had been in office for less than eights months when the attacks occurred.  He came out stronger and firmer with a new plan...he adjusted his agenda based on those events.  Obama acts with an air of arrogance suggesting, "I didn't ask for this, it was a short diversion, but we're back on course."  It's obvious the terrorist actions over Christmas thwarted progress on some of his agenda items, namely health care, but as a citizen of this country I WANT a president that can multi-task.  You have to be able to prioritize, shift and change.  Isn't he the #1 proponent of change?  Why can't he see what's going on with health care and change his agenda!!!

And SECOND, the economy was well into its downward spiral at the start of his campaign.  He DID sign up for this.  The job of the president is not supposed to be easy.

NEXT...

Stephanopoulos continues, "But they're saying now, they want your health care plan to go away.  It's just not popular; the majority are opposed."

OBAMA: Well, here's what I know is that when they actually find out what's in the proposals for insurance reform, for making sure that we're making health care more affordable, those specific provisions are actually very popular.

He epitomizes the arrogance that plagues the liberals.  Obama really believes people aren't smart enough to KNOW what's in this bill.  He truly thinks he's smarter than everyone else.  I have real problems with the legislation, mostly because I think a great deal of the provisions are UNCONSTITUTIONAL:
 - Forcing people to have health coverage, and if they refuse they will be fined or jailed
 - Taking away my personal and my state's right to make decisions on abortion
 - Negotiating corrupt deals with Nebraska, Louisiana, and Unions
 - Medicare benefits posed to help seniors only in certain states

With the bill itself being such a monstrousity, it's obvious the legislation cannot possibly be sustained long-term without serious tax increases, which is just more money out of our economy and into the hands of our ever-growing government.  Mr. President, I know what's in the bill and I'm smart enough to know it's not a good idea.

My hope is the conservatives of this nation can press forward with the momentum from the Scott Brown win and avoid becoming complacent.  We must continue to raise our voices and make our demands heard.  Wasteful government spending and government expansion are not what we want.  Obama needs to get down with his own tagline...CHANGE.

Source: ABC Interview Transcript

2 comments:

  1. Oh Charise, you are SO right!!! I just love your blog!!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait! WAIT! Did you say Bush came back STRONGER!!! Okay I can't read anymore today.

    ReplyDelete