The Time is Now. This Stay-at-Home Mom is officially involved.

Friday, October 12, 2012

VP Debate - My take

My expectations were high for this debate. Ryan had a lot to live up to after the Romney-dominated debate last week, and Biden, clearly with more experience, had the burden to win over what was lost last week. Honestly, upon the conclusion of the VP debate I didn't feel much. I wasn't super excited or on a "high" as was the case last week. Romney's clear win last week made life a little better and the world seemed brighter. 

With that being said, here is my take:

VP Joe Biden:
On substance I thought Biden did well verbalizing specifics and giving a clear view of the Obama/Biden plan going forward. He was clear and authoritative...at times I felt like he was shouting at Martha, but nonetheless I felt he seemed prepared and knowledgeable. I was disappointed in his Libya answers...that whole thing is so scandalous. I'm sure the left will be happy he hammered the 47% issue...although I thought Ryan was pretty good at "defending" it. But aside from Biden's content, his body language really irked me. His smugness, laughing, snide remarks, and constant disrespect of his opponent was distracting and rude. He came off arrogant and childish. At times I just thought, "You are a big jerk with the whitest veneers I've ever seen." He constantly called Paul Ryan "my friend", which is hardly a term of endearment when it comes from Biden. Whatever he won on content, I felt he lost in his treatment of his debate partner.

Congressman Paul Ryan:
Personally, I have to say I really like Ryan. He is so polished and polite and really seemed comfortable talking through issues. Even with Martha Raddatz giving what I considered Biden a bit of "help", Ryan held his own. And while he didn't blow it out of the park, he gave specifics that mattered. I especially liked his answer on abortion (although I'm not sure I like it taking center stage in a Presidential/VP debate). I think he was able to hold the ground Mitt gained last week. He didn't back down. I'm happy with the things he said on Libya, and thought he was clear to bring it back to Obama/Biden's record and slamming this administration for their poor foreign policy. His closing statement seemed to target the right issues whereas Biden's seemed a bit disjointed.

The winner?
I think I'm calling this a tie. Maybe the liberals will call this a win, but I don't know how you win over people with the body language Biden had last night. His total disrespect of Ryan just doesn't seem like a way to win people to your ticket. 

Only a few days to wait before the next Presidential debate. I'm sure Obama is going to come out swinging on the 47% issue...but Mitt is going to slam this administration on Libya. How can you not? The Libya scandal is so indicative of what I despise about this administration: lack of transparency, all-out lies from the President, and a ton of "passing the buck". A U.S. Ambassador was killed...let's not forget about that. See you Tuesday!

4 comments:

  1. Well stated Charis. How do you feel about the stripping of women's rights that the Romney camp is proposing? Next will be the.women's right to vote. These rights have been fought for hundreds of year. Sure religion molds us, but we should not impose those beliefs onto others.
    Thanks for letting me share. Please don't remove me from accessing your blog for this. Uncle Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...No worries Doug! Thanks for commenting. I'm just not sure what "stripping of women's rights" you are referring to. If this is about birth control, then you may be misinformed. The birth control issue is not about women. If people say it's only about women they are forgetting that men are also involved (usually) in the decision to have or not have a baby. This is simply about religious rights. The moment the government tells a religion what they can and cannot do (i.e., force religious organizations to pay for and provide something they do not believe in morally) is a very sad state. As a very religious person myself, I don't want the government involved in religious decisions.

    I also don't think there has been a single Republican or conservative running for office EVER say women shouldn't have the right to vote. This is an extreme idea. Me myself...as a WOMAN, have never felt my right to vote is in danger. I do believe Mitt is a good man. A husband, a father, a father-in-law and a grandfather. He has constantly praised women and honored them. I have no doubt he will continue to do so if he is voted into office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well stated Charise. I was excited to read your response on the debate. From the beginning, we were embarrassed and shocked at Biden's complete lack of respect for the event, his opponent and the American people. Even during conversations on serious, personal topics he would rudely smirk with the thought, "this guy must be a complete idiot" going through his head.

    When really, I think he knows that Obama and himself have made some unwise decisions that have placed us in a tough situation. Whether they came into office with a rough plate or not, it has not gotten better in 4 years. I'll say it now and I will say it again. You interview for a job, they hire you! After a time, you just have not performed or things have gone downhill.. what is next in this sequence. YOU GET FIRED.

    This, just like any other job, is important. But it is a job and it is time they hire someone new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete