The Time is Now. This Stay-at-Home Mom is officially involved.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

OBAMA: "I AM THE LAW"

"These are not the acts of a teacher on Constitutional law. These are the acts of a big city boss or a third world dictator. If you want to know why business has pulled in its horns and hunkered down, and why people at tea parties and elsewhere are scared, look no further than Barack 'I Am The Law' Obama."
 - Ben Stein, The American Spectator, 6.16.10

When I was a teenager I babysat often for my family's closest friends. One summer while home from college I watched the four kids for a weekend.  The youngest (about 5 at the time) and I had a real go for those few days. One night I had made dinner and served it to the kiddos. The youngest, "T",  said, "I don't want that." And I said, "Okay. I'm sorry this isn't your favorite, but this is what's for dinner." Dramatically, T said he wanted a popsicle instead and his mom let him have popsicles for dinner. I replied, "Popsicles are dessert. They are not for dinner." Young T was quite upset...tantrum ensued and he screamed at me, "YOU ARE NOT THE LAW....MY MOM'S THE LAW!!!"  

My mom and I still giggle at this incident. "T" had it right. As a mother now myself I know that I'm the law and what I say goes. That's what I get for my sleepless nights, constant management of whining, organizing play dates/activities, and cooking, serving, cleaning three meals each day plus snacks.  I at least get to lay down the law in my own house.

Now...it appears our President has the same kind of "mom" mentality.  But he has it wrong in a number of areas...one being that he works for us and reports to us.  He doesn't get to say it's the law just because he's the President. But Obama doesn't care.

A GREAT piece by Ben Stein yesterday in The American Spectator.  Read the WHOLE article here.  

Yes, BP should probably pony up and pay out for this horrible disaster, but not because the President mandates they do so. Stein says, "But the action of the President in demanding this immense transfer of stockholders' wealth without any legislation or court decision is extremely worrisome."   

Stein continues: "We live in a Constitutional Republic.  The President's job under the Constitution is to enforce the laws made by the elected Congress. His job is not to create new laws and enforce them all by himself.  His job is as magistrate under the Constitution, not as Caudillo.  He is not the law.  He is supposed to enforce what Congress decides."  

And I'm still trying to figure out why we don't focus on stopping the gushing.  That seems like Priority #1 to me.  

Gotta run...I need to make sure my kids remember I Am the Law... that is, until the President steps in and tells me how to run my household...you know it's coming...

Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment